Your top five German wine producers

I’ve yet to try any Schaefer-Frohlich, but this thread has convinced me that I need to fix that ASAP!

3 Likes

Emrich-Schonleber
Heymann-Lowenstein
Keller
Willi Schaefer
Dr. Loosen (soft spot for Ernst Loosen as he is a super nice man).

On a side note, I wish quality German Riesling was better imported into the US. You can find it, but much harder than Italian, Spanish, French, etc.

2 Likes

Weingut Keller
Donnhoff
Schafer Frolich ( spatlese )
Molitor
Many others

1 Like

Keller 35%
Donnhoff 20%
Schafer frolich 15%
Selbach ostler 5%
Prum 3%

Over 50% are designated dry…

Greg, yes the focus and hype are on the GGs from Keller. But their other wines don’t cost an arm and a leg and are delicious, e.g Limestone and RR.

1 Like

Willi Schaefer
Donnhoff
Immich-Batterieberg
JJ Prum
Egon Muller (I no longer buy much, if any, but I put quite a bit away in the good old days.)

What part of the U.S. do you live in? I know we don’t get nearly everything, but I think we have tons of good options available to us, especially if you’re willing to ship from other states (and your state allows shipments from other states).

Even the regular ol’ trocken is pretty damn good.

Basically Prum. It ended up being six times more than the total holding of other wines combined.

1 Like

Donnhoff
JJ Prum

Max Ferd Richter
Fritz Haag
Zilliken

I was wondering the same thing, especially since Heymann-Lowenstein is not at all easy to find.

Fun lists: no order Falkenstein, Keller, Schaefer Frohlich, Merkelbach, Weiser-Kunstler/Willi Schaefer/JJ Prum/Lauer. Funniest fact have no clue on how any of the recent vintages are as these are mostly to drink later. This is the how challenging it is to purchase and taste Riesling.

1 Like

A little hard to tell as wines are stored in more then one place, but it would appear to be:
Keller
Julian Haart
Prum/Grunhaus/Schaefer

Clemens Busch will overtake Julian Haart soon given how difficult it is to get Julian’s wines in any quantity.
A

1 Like

JJ Prum
Donnhoff
Schaefer
Merkelbach
Falkenstein

By level:
Spatlese
Kabinett
Auslese
Spatlese Feinherb
Kabinett Feinherb
Trocken

2 Likes

I like Keller’s sweet wines quite a bit actually, and they’re easy to find. I’ve had (and own) a fair share of Keller’s von der fels and other bottling below the GGs, and they’re fine, but based on those wines Keller certainly wouldn’t make my top 5. My point is not that I’m not prepared to drink Keller because I can’t get the G-Max, but rather that I haven’t had enough of the wines that people then make his wines special.

It was easier a few years ago. With Terry Theise no longer involved in the company with his name and Rudi Wiest no longer in business, it seems like distribution of German wines is not as robust as it was.

1 Like

For me:

Spatlese
Auslese
Kabinett (buy a good bit of these but probably drink them too young)
Auslese Goldkapsule

A bit of Feinherb and virtually no trocken or GG.

1 Like

Dönnhoff
Dr. Bürklin-Wolf
Fritz Haag
Hofgut Falkenstein
Joh. Jos. Prüm

2 Likes

I was often told by German producers that the sweeter wines such as Spatlese, Auslese, BA, TBA and Ice Wine was majority of the time sold to the UK and USA market. The Trocken, Kabinett and GG were the wines of choice in Germany. Always found that interesting.

1 Like

Kabinett sells tons in the USA. Tough since climate change has made Kabinett harder to produce.