Your wine of the Year

2007 Mugneret-Gibourg NSG 1er Cru Chaignots. First time having it and couldn’t believe the weight on it for a 2007.

1976 Quintarelli Amarone Riserva.

2003 Jones Family Estate Cabernet / 2009 Force Majeure Series II

1994 Warre Port that was originally opened over Thanksgiving, left in the fridge at the cabin until New Years Day. This is one of several times that I’ve experienced vintage ports holding up very well for a long time after being opened. I think that the conventional wisdom of “these will last a few days to a week after opening” significantly understates their staying power.

So far its a 1988 Krug Vintage, but ask me again next week and it will likely be one of 1945 Vieux Chateau Certan, 1964 Petrus, 1970 Petrus, 1990 Latour, 1990 Haut Brion, 2000 DRC Montrachet or 2001 D’Auvenay Chevalier Montrachet…

Not the Batard montrachet 2002 from Henri Boillot ( oxidized . ) So it is the 2006 Perrieres from Comte Lafon .

+1 on the Nespresso Dharkan, it goes to “11”.

Larry

A good start. A generous soul gave me a healthy pour of 1990 d’Yquem on NY Day which was absolutely delicious, and which followed a great bottle of '99 Bonneau Marie Beurrier.

Today at lunch, a 375 of Krug Rose (disgorged approx. 12 months ago according to the code on the bottle) which had a distinctly marmalade-y sauternes lite nose but sliced across the palate like a scalpel.

No surprise that the d’Yquem is the winner so far, but the others were lovely.

I feel like as usual I have to pick a rare wine and should say 71 Prum TBA or 02 G-MAX (I brought both and shared with Katherina Prum and Klaus-Peter Keller at Rieslingfeier).

In reality some simple wines blew me away this year including a Keller Scheurebe that Martin Zwick graciously opened for me in Berlin and a recent 2013 Foillard Nouveau that was simply delicous and life affirming.

No doubts…a magnum of 1997 Ch Montelena Estate on Christmas Day/Boxing Day.

We’re talking about THIS year (2014) right?
My answer would be the same answer I’d give for worst wine of the year. 2008 Silver Oak Napa. So far my only wine of this year.

I was in the shower at 6pm last night thinking since i hadn’t had any booze in the New Year, that I’d just go until a dinner 1/18 without having anything. An hour later I walked into a restaurant to get something to eat and someone I know wanted to give me a glass of the Silver Oak. I’m either weak or courteous, so I took him up on it. Just about as expected: big, ripe, and oaky. But it went pretty darned well with some lamb chops at The Palm, which were great.

I’m upgrading to 1995 La Conseillante.

I’ll go with the 1984 Laurel Glen Cabernet that I had another glass of after midnight on 1/1.

Just had it last week…
1999 Chehalem Pinot noir, Bethel Heights Southeast Block fruit.

2005 Bereche Vieilles Vignes Brut Champagne.

1984 Groth Cabernet

Fox Creek edged out the Alban due to the price.

1. 1998 Fox Creek Shiraz Reserve - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale (11/9/2013)

Australia Big Guns Shiraz Tasting (Kevin’s (Minneapolis)): Outstanding wine and a real benchmark wine for anyone drinking Aussie Shiraz from mid 90s to present. Black licorice, black pepper, mild fruits, chocolate notes and wood. Soft tannins and fine sediment. Balanced and long finish with more secondary notes on this tasting than the last 3 plus years ago. This wine for $50 (purchased recently) is my QPR of the year and should be enjoyed within the next few years. (96 points)

2. 2006 Alban Vineyards Syrah Lorraine - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (12/22/2013)

Mini Offline at Mike’s featuring Alban; 12/21/2013-12/22/2013 (Minneapolis, MN): Top five wine of the year and gives new meaning to the phrase LONG FINISH. Consumed 2 glasses over the course of 3 hours. Bacon, blackberries, charcoal, glycerin and exotic spices. Up front heat was a bit of an issue but blew off. This is a big time wine and one that will evolve for a decade or more. This would compare nicely against any of the Big Aussie wines we drank back in November. Outstanding! (97 points)

An Aussie… 1982 Henschke Mount Edelstone shiraz

Their Rose was excellent. I gather you like this one?

I never had a chance to try their rosé. It came and went before I got my mitts on it. :frowning: