Zoom Event with Dominique Moreau of Champagne Marie Courtin--This Saturday, May 2nd @ 1PM ET

Todd, I think you asked about aeration. I will open and enjoy a glass tonight, then seal it up with one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Champagne-Stainless-Professional-Sparkling-HYZ/dp/B081CTTTFZ/ref=sr_1_8?crid=31T2AO1IHOOIN&dchild=1&keywords=champagne+stoppers&qid=1588357539&sprefix=champa%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-8

I use these regularly for when I taste bottles across several days.

I’ve got a couple Krug stoppers, they work great. I’m a bit scared it won’t be as ‘fizzy’ as if I opened it fresh, although those stoppers do work well, and the wine will continue to create them once opened back up, of course. Just wonder why you want to open it a day ahead - is that something that this wine will benefit from? If so, I might have to do the same!

shockingly, I’ve left bottles in the fridge without a stopper and there’s carbonation the next morning.

Hook the bottle up to a sodastream. problem solved. And you can make your own sparklers from any still wine. Zin Champagne!

You’re an animal, Brig.

I will be opening a Resonance on Saturday, but am wondering if anyone has had the Indulgence.

Diane, I have not. It’s the only wine in the MC range that I have not tried (but will later this year when the 2015 arrives, or if I can get my ass safely to Champagne to visit Dominique). Which Resonance are you opening?

By the way, a little secret revealed for some of you perhaps. On the MC bottles, there is an etched code on the outside of the glass, right down near the bottom of the bottle. You need to look for it but it’s there. It will tell you the vintage, the disgorge date, probably also say “ND” for non-dose, and a two letter code to express the cuvee (Eloquence, Concordance, etc). This is how you can decipher these wines as to the ‘what and when’ if you like those kind of details.

For anyone else that wants to join, you’re welcome to still PM me for Saturday’s event (i.e. tomorrow). I think we’ll land with about 30 people, give or take.

Frank, what information are you looking for on the Resonance? I don’t even see a disgorgement date.

Okay, I should have read your whole post. That etching is really hard to read.
LR14DO617ND. It’s like taking an eye test - the writing is so small.

Yes, that’s it. June 2017 disgorgement, 2014 base, Resonance.

It’s not open yet but will be soon…
20200502_080814.jpg

I`m a fan of the champagnes and would love to be on, but have a conflict so enjoy this everyone. Thanks again Frank for doing the deed. Love your passion brother.

Take care, B2. Miss seeing you.

Getting ready, watching the bubbles rise from the cork! (video posted, click ‘play’ button/icon)

Mine is still in the fridge. Gonna be interested to see what you think of that wine. My bottle should be identical to yours but for confirmation, Frenchie, my bottle is disgorged 12/2018. LE14D1218ND.

I opened mine at 8 and capped it, back in the fridge. Will check the code when I sit down with it at my desk for the session. Never saw bubbles popping up like crazy from a Champagne cork before, but that could be just because I never looked?

Mine’s the same

Good–we are on the identical disgorgement. I just opened mine. I love the aromatics, the touch of wood that this adds to the wine, along with the leesy note. Apples and berry, a honeyed note, all washes across a saline, savory kind of bright finish. As good as the last bottle but we’ll see with air how it unfolds during the event.

I’m ready!

Thanks to Dominique, Todd, and Frank for a great event, which has inspired me to add my CT Marie Courtin notes:

2007 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut - France, Champagne (5/2/2020)
Light gold color, with lemon, Bosc pear, and minerals and a lovely tart finish. With air a pleasant nuttiness comes out that helps round it out further, it is excellent now but shows no danger of fading any time soon. (93 pts.)

2010 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut - France, Champagne (1/1/2020)
An excellent combination of nutty, bready richness and lively lemony tartness and a fine wine with which to toast the new year. (92 pts.)

2010 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut - France, Champagne (8/4/2018)
Nice weight, a touch of nuttiness, crisp and tasty. (92 pts.)

NV Marie Courtin Champagne Eloquence Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut - France, Champagne (12/31/2017)
Disgorged March 2013. Rainwater, with a lovely lemon zest coming out with air. Fantastic. (94 pts.)

2007 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut - France, Champagne (12/31/2017)
Great mineral cut with strong concentration, a little lemon twist, outstanding. (93 pts.)

Fantastic! Thanks again to Frank and Todd.

Mike, you go back far further in time with these wines and it was great to have you on, to show that respect to Dominique to give time from your Saturday to attend. Appreciate those notes too, a part of her history.

Alan, thank you. We’re always learning here and today I learned some more, particularly enjoying the discussion and visuals around the grape vines she brought to the session.

We had around 20 on, although it may have been larger and for those who attended, to support these events, thank you. We do these out of a desire to share, bring people together and you will note that nothing is being sold nor solicited. It’s just people, regardless of where they are in the wine equation, coming together to fellowship so thank you.

Here is my TN from the bottle I have open. Please post your TNs if you had a Marie Courtin open today. Thank you again everyone, and thanks to Todd for again being our partner here.

• 2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut - France, Champagne (5/2/2020)
    2nd bottle to date. Same specs as precious: 100% PN farmed biodynamic, elevage in old wood, no dosage, no dosage. Opened this about 2 hours ago, just sipping on it. The wood tones are present and influence the wine in the aromatic and palate. There is a seasoning of old barrel, an aged toasted quality that gives the wine a good character. Also present in the aromatics is a citrus and leesy signature. Within the wine, the wood supports the fruit, which is a mix of green apple, raspberry, tangerine, even a bit of honey, finishing with a bright lime/citrus and savory note. There is some refreshing salinity here but I notice and dig the most is the wood influence, something I didn’t really appreciate from the previous bottle. Overall, what I dig here is the wine has a presence, an impact of energy–it’s distinctive, there is energy here. These are the qualities that fire me up about Champagne these days and I find it here. This wine is a lot of acidity, which is a feature of the Marie Courtin 2014s, an expression of the vintage, and I expect this wine will age well.

Posted from CellarTracker