Zoom Event with Dominique Moreau of Champagne Marie Courtin--This Saturday, May 2nd @ 1PM ET

Interesting note on the wine, Frank, with the reference to “saline”. Efflorescence is a term that I am familiar with as the white deposit on masonry that comes from the salt leaching out due to water. I wonder if the name of this particular Champagne is alluding to the salty dimension in the taste profile?!

Damn, that’s a good question and I didn’t ask her. I will send her the question and see what says.

Our thanks to Frank, Todd, and Dominique for another fantastic Champagne voyage!. We did not have a Courtin bottle available, but certainly will have some soon. We did enjoy an Henri Goutorbe rose, Disgorged October 2008, to keep us in good spirits.

It is so nice that Frank has leveraged his trip to Champagne so effectively to bring us the opportunity to meet these dedicated and fascinating vignerons, we look forward to next week (with an appropriate bottle this time)!

Thank you, Steve. We’re just glad we can do these now, that people keep coming to learn and share, and the winemakers are supportive. Shows you the real power of relationships and treating people with respect. That means something.

The term is French and is the chemical interaction resulting in the leaching of salts to the surface.

Not accidental IMHO

Sorry I had to miss this. Catch you next week.

I too am sorry I missed this. Marie Courtin is my favorite Champagne house

What a great event. Of course with my hearing at one point I wondered who was this Philippe Seurat that caused trouble in Champagne? Eventually I realized she was said phylloxera…

newhere

Diane - I noticed you asking about the Indulgence. My TN from 2015 read:
Indulgence Extra Brut Rose 2011 - what a beautifully delicate indulgence. Definitely a lighter styled Rose. Like biting into a single perfect macaron.

Frank, I’m sorry I had to end up missing this. Did you record it?

Great job guys. This was an extremely enjoyable event and Dominique comes off so knowledgeable and relaxed. She is just doing her thing and making great wine in her quiet little town which sits in a wonderful stretch of the Côte des Bars - the area created by the villages of Polisot, Polisy, Celles-sur-Ource, Landreville, and Buxeuil is my favorite part of this region along with Les Riceys.

Thanks, Jay. I have 2 bottles of the 2015 on order and hadn’t heard anything about it.

We did, and once Frenchie posts it, you will find it at the top of Page 1 in the master thread where he keeps all the recordings.

Here’s the video! This one is not available in ‘public’ format, only with this link, as per Dominique’s request

Brig went more scientific with his definition.

In reply from Dominique, this is what she told me about ‘Efflorescence’:

“To answer the question, I didn’t know this definition. When I gave the name of this cuvée it was to express the constant evolution of her before the botlling, when I tasted the wine on the barrels.
What is the meanings of the word Efflorescence or one of.”

I finished more of the 2014 Efflorescence last night with dinner. What a gorgeous wine.

Thank you both. I appreciate being able to view this.

Damn, missed it. See you all next week.

WT

Still have to view the event, but found some notes of past exposures and here’s 2:

2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence Blanc de Blanc Extra Brut- this was opened at a small growers champagne event I orchestrated on our rooftop last summer; It showed beautifully; no dosage; so much to like here with such an inviting nose of spicy citrus, namely lemon, lime and kiwi; it was elegant and yet stately, had bright acidity and really good feel that was just perfect for maintaining the elegance all the way through; one of my favs on the night if not THE fav. I was really happy to discover I have a couple in the cellar.

NV MARIE COURTIN RESONANCE EXTRA BRUT- 100% Pinot Noir, all from 2009; it received its name to represent the balancing energies of earth and sky, does not see any wood and has no dosage; I got mint and smoky black raspberry along with some hints of stone fruit initially; later on, some pepper and spice came in to add further accents; it was rich and very smooth and I liked it even more with time.

Thank you! to Dominique, Frank, & Todd for making this happen! That was a lot of fun. Sorry about my technical difficulties — hopefully that won’t happen again.

I may have been the only one in the room to pop the 2014 Concordance. It was nice and tasty!

2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Concordance Extra Brut - France, Champagne (5/2/2020)
– tasted non-blind over 3 hours –
– 100% Pinot Noir –
– No dosage –
– Dec. 2017 disgorgement –

NOSE: initially, this showed a medium-light apple note, set against a light yeasty/bready backdrop; with air (about 90 minutes) the aromatics fleshed-out, revealing some pleasant red berry aromas.

BODY: yellow-orange color; medium-light bodied; bead dissipated quite quickly, as it was nearly gone only 20 minutes after uncorking.

TASTE: excellent acidity; lovely minerals; some pleasant red berry qualities started to emerge during its initial warm-up from fridge temperature; elevagé in tank; incredible richness of fruit flavor considering this is a no dosage Champagne; tiny hint of leather after 2 hours open; no sulfur on this bottling, and it didn’t seem to suffer in any way. I like this a lot. Gut impression score: 91 – 92.