Favorite Rose…Summer, 2022 Edition

I don’t know if it’s the same property, but we just had a 2020 Cibonne Tentations rose [Cotes de Provence] which was pretty good, if evidenced by how fast we threw it back. Pale onion skin color, light bodied, yet 13% abv. Screwcapped although it was strangely resistant to opening, and required getting a rubber jar gripper (!). It has been in the fridge for a while (prior to opening) and threw a light tartrate clump of crystals. I’d give this a B in the scorecard; for my tastes its hard to think of any rose as a wine of gravitas, and meriting a higher notch.

The Tentations is from the same producer, mostly Grenache, Cinsault, and Syrah from neighbors, with some of their younger vine Tibouren. Not aged under flor like some of their other rose wines. Haven’t had it, but I would expect it to be a well made Provence rose.

-Al

Yes, like Al said, it’s the same producer, but Clibonne Cuvée Tradition is 90% Tibouren and 10% Grenache. It was a fairly unique flavor profile and complex. I need to bury one and see how it develops.

They have the the Tentations at my local shop as well, so I will have to check it out soon.

I quite like the Tentations, and have been buying it for 3 or 4 vintages. It’s a great every day rose, but it’s definitely not in the same league as the Tradition or the still better Cuvee Speciale des Vignettes, which is 100% Tibournen. I’ve never had the Cuvee Caroline, Marius, or the Rouge. In searching these online to make sure I was identifying the cuvees correctly, I see that they offer the Tentations in kegs, and that’s an idea I could get behind.

Verterra Rosé of Pinot Noir

Arnot Roberts Rosé of Touriga Nacional

Bedrock Ode to Lulu

Bargemone Rosé

And the splurge is Ruinart Rosé Brut

Those pretty much cover all the bases for me, though I do like to explore.

I had the Rouge a few years ago and it was really nice too. Definitely a daily drinker type. My note said it had fresh dark red fruit, earthy and herbal mid palate with medium acidity.

Il Poggione Brancato Rosato
Don’t drink it at ‘right out of the fridge, temperature, because as it becomes less cold the fruit really shines through. If you drink it up quickly you will miss the best part

1 Like

Liquid Farm Mourvedre Rose. So good.

I go through too much rose, and Tercero gets my vote hands down.

1 Like

Just when I think I have a handle on things and can start paring back purchases to the things I enjoy the most, along comes this thread where I haven’t even heard of 85% of the wines.

As a public service (and a service to my bank account), could those who have had several of the mentioned wines please give us some comparative notes based on your palate?

[beg.gif]

Ridge Lytton Estate Rose. An annual buy for me.

Ode to Lulu and Scherrer are just crushing the QPR all day.

I really like the Ridge Lytton Estate Rose, though I like the Ode to Lulu just as well.

Yes! and so very very gone…I need to replenish my stock ASAP [cheers.gif]

2019 Cayuse Edith Rosè, excellent. Strawberry, fresh acidity, long finish.

Or for something more affordable/attainable, Domaine Maby.

I typically enjoy PROBONO Rosé of Pinot Noir and Walter Hansel Rosé of Pinot Noir.

Opened a bottle of the 2020 Nerthus yesterday with snacks on the patio. Perfect match of freshness and a bit of nutty savoriness from the skin contact, to go with the mixed fresh and savory foods, just right for a summer afternoon in the shade.

Ch. Peyrassol. Fantastic stuff. Unfortunately, it is north of $30.

I enjoyed 2020 about 10 days ago! Actually beat the second day.

1 Like