Favre-a-thon 4.0

I’m a little disappointed after checking wine searcher.com for the bottles consumed.

Thanks for the notes. Sorry to have missed this year. Was restaurant for lunch better than Zuni? Look forward to the Dujac and M Perrieres notes.

This definitely looks excessibly baller.

TFTI

To quote Fritz Hollings: “There’s too much consuming going on out there.”

Maybe next year…. [cry.gif]

No Zuni? [scratch.gif]

To paraphrase Max Bialystock: “Too deep? This is nothing! I’ll tell ya when they’re getting in too deep!”.

Fine work Jon, Brad, et al. Please keep the TNs coming!

Sante!

RT

gents - you were both missed. no zuni this year. we went to les clos in soma for lunch. i personally have nothing but high praise for les clos and their staff…right fred? :wink:

it’s no zuni chicken but the spread i thought was great…and the stems rocked.

Jonathan - I can’t help but recall the time we did this at RN74 years back with Andy Frieden and John Sweeney. I think we were charged about $800 in corkage that night.

Where did this one take place?

I remember that weekend well Alex - dang, is it that long ago?!?!?!? The Progress was Friday night, Le Clos for lunch/brunch Saturday, and Jardiniere Saturday night for dinner. All did a fine job taking care of us. I’ll start getting my notes up later today if I can find some time :slight_smile:.

Thanks for posting. Many great wines [worship.gif]

This was a great weekend of awesome wines and awesome company. I will try to post notes later, but in the meantime I wanted to add a few more pictures.
IMG_6300.JPG
IMG_6297.JPG
IMG_6302.JPG

Did all of you take photos with a Motorola flip phone? :wink:

You guys are sick…in a really great way! We need to get together sometime soon Brad.

That old Krug CdM label is so badass. The newer labels look way too homogenized. Same goes for the old CdC labels with the medieval horseman.

Mark- TRUE THAT!!!

Using a nice camera would be like conspicuous consumption.

This past Friday night was great along with the weather there in the city. “The Progress” put out some wonderful food that was enjoyed by all. Many friends flew in from all over the place for this weekend of fun - the 4th year of many to come. I can’t tell you how much fun it is when getting these fine folks together to share gems together - this is what it’s all about champagne.gif! This first dinner was full of Krug, a few really nice Ravs, and a super nice mix of wines from DRC. We stuck each of these in several flights over the evening…

Wines:
1985 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut: This had more natural oxidation as expected but was still really nice - creamy with bright pear and tight bubbles. This one was fine for sure just didn’t hold up over the evening.

1990 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut: Chalky pear and very nice levels of acidity - flashes of savory clove. A certain someone always pours this from magnum so maybe that’s why he though it under performed for us which I don’t think it did neener.

1989 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut: I agree with Brad - this over performed for me also this past Friday night. Not as fine as the '90 but still a super showing with lemon minerality throughout - tight bubbles.

1988 Krug Champagne Clos du Mesnil: This one never disappoints - super duper champer! Clove perfume, soft ginger spice that is uplifted by the fine bubbles, truffles. Super complex and spicy - multiple layers which is what I get from the Krug Mesnil bottling every time - a step above!

1998 Krug Champagne Clos du Mesnil: First note on this one was that it has laser like acidity that really showed well for me - nice spice of minerality which shown through. Still showed young and hope to taste this again sometime soon.

2000 Krug Champagne Clos du Mesnil: I wrote that I’d buy this for sure - super showing. More fruit here - layers of pear spice, cloves, touches of ginger cream - lovely acidity which really added an extra dimension of uplifted perfume. Loved it!

2003 Krug Champagne Clos du Mesnil: I seemed to like this better than others and really could not find anything that I could pinpoint as a reason to kick it off the table [wow.gif]. I reserve judgment and seemed to like it - would love to sample this again to see what’s really going on.

1991 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos: Wow - Raveneau Clos is a super wine with age if you can find them. Well, this one found us this past Friday night and ended up being one of the top wines for me. Aged Raveneau custard, touches of anise, salty lime, really complex and perked up nicely in the glass over the evening. Just like a fine Montrachet - this one got better and more interesting in the glass!

2007 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos: Legend in the making - just wait. Lovely now but still needs to add some weight and complexity with bottle age. I really liked this one and can’t wait to sample this over the upcoming years.

1995 Krug Champagne Clos d’Ambonnay: Second time tasting this one - the first time I wan’t impressed and really thought this one has gotten better… Sea spray, citrus zest, tight aromatic bubbles. I hope I find some of this wine in my glass sometime soon!

1980 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux: Slightly corked - after about 5 minutes it was painfully corked. Dang

1980 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant: Light and aromatic - some really nice spice in there with notes of undergrowth and truffles. Nice layers of acidity and minerality in this lovely old lady that really seams to be drinking nicely now!

2001 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche: I’ve had this one several times and this was the best showing yet so it must be going somewhere nice in the bottle! Much more aromatic and spicy than maybe a year ago with nice layered fruit. Lovely!

1991 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant: I liked this better than a few - lighter personality for sure - softer side of the RSV spectrum that relies more on aromatics. Still - not as good as the last bottle of this.

2000 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant: Very nice showing for this wine - full of layers of dark cherry, citric spice, and other smoky aromatics. A top wine!

2006 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant: Young dark and brooding. There definitely a bright future in this bottle just wait though!

1998 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux: This '98 can be very good unlike the RSV. I liked it better than most but do agree that it’s not in the same class as other close by vintages.

2002 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux: Another really nice and bright 2002. Bright tinge to the color here which was noticeable to me - spicy aromatics - with more time and weight this will fill out nicely IMHO.

2008 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux: Another youngster - not as young as the '06 RSV showed though. To tell you the truth I think this is the first '08 DRC I’ve had other than the RSV close to release. The '08s are rounding out nicely at the high end and this is no exception - a lovely future ahead!

1989 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg: I really like where many '89s have gone - this one was lovely. I must say - there’s more earthy components here than bright fruit and perfumed aromatics. Still - it pulls it together and really shows some nice class!

2005 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg: Dark and full of bright acidity and spice! So much is packed in here that it’s hard to deny that this will be a top wine in 20yrs or so. Just wait - the '05 RSV is even better IMHO.

2011 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg: This was very very good - it does have slight notes of stem that really do not detract from the overall experience - actually adds really nice spice to the nose. These will turn out just fine and be happy you have some in your cellar if you do!

1989 Château Montrose: A little after dinner red [highfive.gif]. Dark and very bordeaux’ish :slight_smile:. Lots of graphite, blackberry, and cedar here - a wee bit of stank I believe that added to the overall experience.

1996 Château d’Yquem: With dessert - this is a fantastic bright and young d’Yquem - lovely quince, creamy pineapple, lovely acidity throughout. I love these young d’Yquems and this doesn’t disappoint.

ONTO Saturday! I’ll get my notes down from the lunch at Les Clos and the dinner at Jardiniere. Add notes and more pictures if you can :slight_smile:!

Great notes Brad and Jon!

Here are some of the pix from les clos:
IMAG1454.jpg
IMAG1453.jpg
IMAG1452.jpg

IMAG1462.jpg
IMAG1463.jpg
IMAG1465.jpg

Adding to lunch.

2 of my favorites wines from lunch were the 88 and 93 Dujac MSD. The earthiness and complexity to both of them was very impressive. The Comte Liger was also superb. Since the Rousseau Chambertin was all gone I can only give it 93-95 points based on the label alone [cry.gif]
image.jpg