Favre-a-thon 4.0

We’ll put aside the fact that if you looked to buy that list of wines today, would probably be about 3x as much as I’m budgeting for my entire trip to Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore and Macao next summer…'course I’m staying with friends, only drinking plonk, etc. [grin.gif]

I do love dream-tripping every year. Thanks so much guys for the fantastic notes and pictures. Keep them coming!

With much appreciation,

Mike

Too many trophy wines, far to narrow a perspective I think.

This sentence seems internally inconsistent.

George, I think Fred’s post highlights the point in that some well chosen 1er or even village wines can be as good or better drinking. With a focus on the trophy GCs suggests this is not fully appreciated.

Great lunch at Le Clos in SOMA - relaxed atmosphere and food pulled together a nice set of fine folks!

Wines:
2012 Schloss Schönborn Erbacher Marcobrunn Riesling Großes Gewächs: Off the list - lovely young riesling with lovely levels of acid laced earthy bright riesling fruit. Went great with the oysters.

1995 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut: Also went great with the oysters. This was a favorite of mine when first released and liked it more than the '96. The last few showings have been great just not as good as the '96 has gotten. Broader shoulders here - more brioche - lime cream - lovely and long.

2000 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos: This was in fine shape to start but just didn’t fully come out of it’s shell and reveal all that a good Raveneau Clos can. Some though it slightly tainted - this did not reveal itself with time so I’ll chalk this up to just an average showing. I really wanted more perfume from this usually stellar bottle!

2002 Henri Boillot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Perrières: This was a really fine wine - no premox other than the natural kind. Well balanced with floral orchard fruits and some perfumed honeysuckle - like this one.

1986 Domaine Tollot-Beaut Corton-Charlemagne from magnum: This was really fun to try as I’ve been stashing way more recent vintages of this stuff - I’m high on the quality here. Fun stuff with rich apple - natural oxidiation - pear cream - some touches of leather - medium length. Not a knockout wine but it showed really well!

2000 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne from magnum: Another fun one to try - seemed a wee bit average overall. Plenty of fruit (lemon curd + citrus rind) is in here but there was not enough acidity from memory to make it memorable.

2001 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne: Much fresher than how the '00 showed to me - more exotic stuff going on with perfumed orchard fruits and touches of cold honey. Like this.

2006 Hubert Lamy Criots-Bâtard-Montrachet: Always fun to try this one from Lamy - this was very 2006 in nature. At first - several though it was flawed but as it sat in the glass it came out of its shell. Nothing overly interesting but it did have such a nice long finish - powdery fruit and structure - touches of cream.

2005 Domaine de Montille Pommard 1er Cru Les Pèzerolles: Ohhh so young but still very drinkable. A pommard with a structure that is light and airy - opened with black cherry and spices - lots of truffles here. Liked it.

1988 Domaine Dujac Morey St. Denis: My only bottle of this and wanted it to go with the '93. Dujac was our main focus at dinner so it was nice to see these side-by-side to see how the lowly (not very lowly :p…) Morey aoc would fair with age. This was great - a fine example of a mellow filled out '88 with lots of sous bois, mushrooms, cigar, creamy cherry - all wrapped around some nice acidity. Lovely to sip on!

1993 Domaine Dujac Morey St. Denis: Lovely and very much in the same vein as the '88 - just younger. Loved it and it’s drinking great now!

2008 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Clos de La Bussière: Sure - this is from C. Roumier and should be great if not just young. I’ve never really had a great Bussiere before and I’ve tried to find one. Anywho - judgement reserved and would love to try this again in maybe 10 years.

1985 Domaine Jacques Prieur Musigny: Not a bad showing at all! I do like the recent vintages of this wine and this is the oldest I’ve sampled. Lovely broard cherry perfume to start - lots of earthy components. This fell off the cliff a bit after being popped and poured so not sure how this will hold up with more bottle age. FYI - the '02, '05, and '08 versions of this are fantastic!

2001 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Bonnes Mares: Dark personality which is entirely consistent with how this meant to age BM should show. Still drinkable with lots of dark fruits and truffles. Wait 10yrs before opening another!

2002 Domaine du Clos de Tart Clos de Tart: Bright showing here - tight cherry and seemed to be more on the red fruited side of the spectrum. Well balanced acidity and minerality - I think I liked this better than most and can see this getting better with time in the bottle.

2011 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Chaumes: Pretty, Pretty, Pretty - not a blockbuster - just delish. Liked this a lot - touches of spice frames a beautifully made wine here - lacy fruit that just seems to belong together. Producer all the way!

2008 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin: Yummy - when a GC drinks this well in it’s youth I think it’s a good sign. Young for sure but like a lot of other well made 2008 grand crus they will please with time IMHO. Delish wine!

2011 Maison Ilan Chambertin: Poured blind at the start - we all knew it was burgundy for sure - I though it was a gevrey :slight_smile:. Softer side of the spectrum with touches of sweet broad shouldered black cherry and earth. Not a blockbuster - still a very nice Chambertin that I would not kick off the table.

NEXT - dinner at Jardiniere :slight_smile:. I’ll try and get my notes up soon - add pictures guys and gals!

No worries Mike - everything was fully appreciated for sure neener champagne.gif!

Great wines there guys. Some serious stamina as well.

Jonathan, no doubt. For me I would prefer to sit on one or two bottles and see how they evolve over the hours.

Thanks for the great notes to all
The Dujac MSD is a winner in almost every vintage

Sort of to Mike’s point, obliquely—how long was lunch, Jon? It’s fun for me to have the context to go with the wines and descriptions. From your notes, it shines through to me that you did appreciate each of the bottles for what they had to give…without being too over-analytical (which I confess I can get sometimes).

Again, lovely further notes, looking forward to more!

Kwa Heri,

Mike (who really will get down to Tuscon one of these days)

Same here for sure. These dinners and lunch were several hours long so the wines that were liked the most sat in the glass the longest. It’s great sharing wine like this every-so-often with like minded friends popping interesting/fun/cherished bottles [cheers.gif].

NEXT - dinner at Jardiniere :slight_smile:. I’ll try and get my notes up soon - add pictures guys and gals!

Too much of a good thing for me, Jon. I prefer a few wines and the time to savour these over the course of dinner.

Happy you haven’t abandoned your quest to share the top wines with others. Your generosity is legendary. Special occasions, choice wines and the time to share the experience over a fine meal may be that I am getting old, but that’s what old age does for one.

We are enjoying our cottage on the Eastern shore of Lake Winnipeg, but my cellar here pales against the wines you and Brad are opening. Family froim Tucson visited us last week - a great time at the beach.

See you guys next Fall.

Best,
Hank [cheers.gif]

This is pretty amazing stuff, but in my dotage, I’m more in Hank and Mike During’s camp. Not in any way sour grapes–any of us would have participated in a heartbeat, but more and more I find myself drinking really good wine in small groups of 2-3-4-5 people where we can actually savor and actually drink the wines over time rather than tasting.

This past Saturday night Jardiniere proved again that they know what they’re doing as far as fabulous service and food goes. We had a great dinner featuring Roulot/Coche and Dujac. I think I have my notes in order… LOL

Wines:
1978 Domain Fabien Coche Bâtard-Montrachet: Somewhat related. This had a very nice color with touches of mint cream, leather, pear fruit, and other secondary to tertiary things going on. Not a blockbuster but it was my favorite of the two Fabien Coche bottles.

1982 Domain Fabien Coche Bâtard-Montrachet: Fatter personality - more leather tones and mushrooms. Liked it but more tertiary!

2007 Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Tessons Clos de Mon Plaisir: We started with a nice set of wines - this was fabulously fresh and entertaining. A very good 2007 with fresh cold peach cream and really nice balanced acidity. Lovely

2000 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Charmes: Roulot mostly killed it in 2000. This was super good and showed very fresh and lovely as it sat in the glass. I came back to this later in the evening after finding some :slight_smile: - really nice stuff.

2006 Coche-Dury Meursault Les Rougeots: More Coche smoke here - lovely stuff - chalky pear fruit, orange zest - best part is the balanced and long finish. A really nice 2006 white burg IMHO.

2007 Coche-Dury Meursault Les Rougeots: Cleaner than the 2006 - fresh peach cream, more zesty mineral driven citric cream - lovely and long - still preferred the '06 as I thought it developed more in the glass for me.

2000 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières: Here we go - this was a complete winner and in line with how the '00 Charmes showed to me. With time this opened up after being a bit closed - several layers here that unfolded - special.

2004 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières: Another good showing for this '04 - I did like the '00 better though. This had wonderful amounts of freshness on the back end which played well in the glass.

2007 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières: yep -corked. Shame, was looking forward to sampling this one again!

2009 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières: This is fabulous - another example of how top notch 2009 white burgs can shine. This was fatter than normal for sure but it had all of the buffering acidity and minerality to make it sing in the glass. This will please!

1986 Coche-Dury Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières: This was Ohhhh Soooo slightly corked that it really didn’t matter. One could still gets loads of nice butter filled savory aged white burg fruit on the nose and when tasted. Still - only a shell of what it should have been!

1990 Coche-Dury Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières: Wowzer - this is the bomb. I do wish to taste at coche to see what they’re doing in there :slight_smile:. This is fabulous - perfect mix of savory flavorful fruit, perfumed aromatics, and balanced savory minerality. I love the nose on this and the palate finished perfectly - loved it.

2009 Coche-Dury Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières: Yep - some funk that blew off. This was fabulous IMHO - rich and pure - loved it.

Whites with dessert:
2004 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Bouchères: This was fabulous and a favorite for many. Fresh and lean with crushed stones and citrus custard - all balanced. Would love to try this one again at some point!

2012 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Clos des Bouchères: New label - still young but enjoyable. Seemed like a wonderful way to finish up the dinner with this gulpable wine :slight_smile:.

Reds:
1986 Domaine Dujac Bonnes Mares: This started off with some nice earthy components - several though it flawed - corked. It did seem so - shame!

1988 Domaine Dujac Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Gruenchers: The anticipation! I tend to believe that the Gruenchers is under appreciated and really wanted to see what’s going on in this bottle. In the end, this was seemed to be flawed - VA? Something was going on that just didn’t seem right. Darn!

2001 Domaine Dujac Bonnes Mares: This is really nice and if you have any feel happy. This was dark with dark cherry and truffles - hints of cola. Really nice!

2001 Domaine Dujac Clos St. Denis: First bottle of this - another really nice '01 Dujac. It had such earth driven morey perfume - uplifted and nice.

1988 Domaine Dujac Echezeaux: This was the first bottle from such a nice set of Echezeaux wines from Dujac. This is no slouch from the Dujac cellar - really nice stuff. This was very well balanced with lots of spicy earth driven fruit. Loved it - another well made '88 that pleases.

1989 Domaine Dujac Echezeaux: Nice! This is like many other '89 red burgs - broader shoulders with lovely balanced and pure fruit. Still - some really nice spice components that shine through from start to finish. Loved it!

1999 Domaine Dujac Echezeaux: Really nice wine - soooo '99 with a deep personality - just starting to show. I really like the potential here and would not feel all that bad have lots of bottles of this in the cellar.

1988 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche: Lovely stuff - stems and oh so perfumed - balanced.

1998 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche: Extremely average showing - nothing wrong with it - just doesn’t present itself apart from any of the others. Judgement reserved!

1999 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche: Another supe '99 - top notch and contends with the CSD for my favorite 1999 from Dujac. Really nice and pure stuff here - love the mix of stems and overall vintage characteristics.

2000 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche: No notes?!?!?! :slight_smile:

1999 Domaine Dujac Charmes-Chambertin: Loved the color on this one - shimmering light purple on the edges. More tart fruit here - loads of nice acidity and minerality frames a lovely wine - brighter personality.

1989 Domaine Dujac Clos St. Denis: Yep - CORKED!

1993 Domaine Dujac Clos St. Denis: A favorite of mine this night - a stellar wine that just goes on and on. Seems to have all that a red burg needs to age gracefully into the future - I so want to taste this again in maybe 5yrs or so.

2001 Domaine Dujac Clos St. Denis: Second bottle of this - we wanted to test to see if there was any bottle variation. This was entirely consistent with the first bottle - lovely stuff.

The END!!! champagne.gif

Glad the summer is finally there Hank!! the fall is only 3+ months away - can’t wait.

Right on John - good for you. This is a special weekend with some good friends that all want to do these kinds of dinners [drinkers.gif].

Hey, party on, Jon. I know you sit and savor a bottle now and then, too.

My wife and I are savoring a really nice bottle of 2007 Dauvissat Vaillons tonight - really nice!!! CHEERS

Great notes Jon! Sounds like it was a wonderful weekend. What a finale…Coche, Roulot and Dujac! Hope you started the evening at Jardiniere with one of their Manhattans champagne.gif

Personally I only do dinner with 15 people or more with 2 bottles a person. newhere