Flannery Beef!

Love the insight, Katie! Glad to know this set is also your favorite! Can’t wait to try these out!

Had Flannery at PRESS multiple times, but super excited to get it going at home! I’m for 5 NY steaks, with a second order planned for Filets during their Valentine’s sale :slight_smile:

In for “The Older Years”!

I’m pretty excited for my first Flannery order. Might just have to order some strips for consumption sooner.

Good choices. And you know what looks like a heart, a porterhouse steak, would be a great addition to that sale, hint hint.

Bullseye on the grass fed. Cattle need carbohydrates to develop intramuscular fat (marbling); you don’t get that on grass. Not that it’s totally impossible to find a well marbled grass fed steak, it’s just few and far between. We were doing a favor for one of our SF restaurant accounts a few years ago, and dry aging grass fed ribeyes they were purchasing from a local farm north of us. So we saw a good amount of grass fed ribeyes come through our facility. A few of the pieces were gorgeous, but the spread between the ‘love at first sight’ and the ‘eh’ was really wide. Our goal is to be able to stand 100% behind every single steak we send out our door, and we can’t do that with a grass fed product. We tend to call our product ‘grass fed / grain finished’, because technically all cattle will start out on grass, then it’s the decision of the rancher if they want to produce a fully grass fed animal, or bring in supplemental feed, usually whatever is abundant and cheap for the area. Sidebar: Dad tells stories about when CA produced phenomenal beef, because one of the main agricultural staples in the state was sugar beet. The cattle farmers used sugar beet pulp as their supplemental feed, and the introduction of what was basically pure carbs into the animals diets produced incredibly high quality results. But then the grapes took over :stuck_out_tongue:

On the organic topic - no, we don’t deal with anything that’s labeled organic. It’s really more of a label that you end up paying a higher price for, more than an indication of quality. It’s also an expensive proposition to the ranchers; we were working with a Wagyu producer out of Montana, she has 100,000 acres that she raises 900 head on. She looked into going organic, and to do so was told she’d have to replace all her fenceposts because the ends in the ground were treated with creosote when put in (circa 1920). Was simply not a feasible option for her to do, and out of all the people we’ve worked with in the industry, she was one of the absolute superstars in terms of treating her animals right.

Lastly, easy answer, yep, hormone free. (antibiotic free, no, but that’s a whole other paragraph… I’ll see if Dad wants to delve into that tomorrow, ha)

-Katie

Advice
Buy the Wagyu Paves during Valentine’s sale
You will not be sorry.

Oh man, believe me, I get it!! We pretty much never do sales on Porterhouse, and it’s directly a result of using the Holstein Breed. The porterhouse comes from the Shortloin, which is the combination of the Filet and the New York. The smaller size of the primals on Holstein, which is awesome if you’re comparing a Holstein New York to an Angus New York (at the same weight, the Holstein steak will be at least .25-.5 inch thicker), is a negative when dealing with the Porterhouse. On an Angus, you’ll get about 4-5 Porterhouse steak before you start cutting T-Bones. On the Holstein, we’re lucky if we get 3. The culprit is the filet - it tapers much more quickly on the Holstein; you have a much higher bone to meat ratio on the Holstein Shortloin than other breeds. The shortloins weight on average, about 20lbs, so let’s say we get our usual 2@32oz porters, we still have 16lbs of that Shortloin to move, as either T-Bones or Bone-in New Yorks. Neither of those two cuts are nearly as popular as the Porterhouse, so if we had a rush on porters, we would end up with a ton of product that we would struggle to move.

That’s why I’ve always held off on a Porterhouse sale… but if we all promise not to tell the rest of the internet, I could probably figure out how to do a ‘Berserker Only’ sale on Porterhouse later this year… I’ll ask Todd if that’s possible
-Katie champagne.gif

[dance-clap.gif] I’m ready to place my order the minute that happens!

+1

Btw, Katie rocks.

Sounds amazing! Would definitely jump on board!

Any thoughts on how freezing affects the quality of beef? I have a psychological block against it. TIA!

I must say I have had many “love at first sight” grass fed and grass raised beef In Uruguay and Argentina that rival the best corn raised beef in the US.

Had my first Flannery dry aged NY strip earlier this month at restaurant and really enjoyed the minerality.

I know some find NY strips a bit boring but I love the cut!

No issues. I freeze for 6+ months at a time.

Also grass fed beef in other countries taste way better than the ones here.

Same.

I actually had a whole strip roast frozen for nearly a year, was kinda worried but it turned out incredible (albeit took like 24+ hours to thaw in the fridge).

I had a 60 day dry aged 16 oz ribeye last night that I bought exactly 3 years ago today on the 2016 BerserkerDay and which has been in the freezer since then, and I noticed no ill effects.

There have been similar discussions the past two years, and from last year’s BD:

As for freezing, from last year’s BD thread:

I said: “I recently had a mismatched ribeye that has been in my freezer since May 2014 and I noticed no decline in quality.”

Bryan Flannery added: “Absolutely no problem to freeze til Super Bowl (could even keep em till Super Bowl 2018). The dry aging process changes the water content in the beef - once dry aged the steaks aren’t susceptible to texture variances when frozen/thawed.

I’m in the same camp as Mike Evans - I’ve pulled steaks out of my freezer that had been in there god knows how long without any flavor/texture issue.”

Order in for a younger crowd and a NY/Wagyu

+3, freezing is perfectly fine.

The thing that kills me about this year is that I didn’t do like Charlie last year and buy that big-ass hunk of long aged multicut section. I was actually saving up to do it this year!

Thread drift: Over Thanksgiving, we had an unexpected surge in guests in the bay area and I figured I’d just stroll into Flannery’s and get me a 7 rib roast. I called and they were very kind to me…but no store! Bryan was so nice, he actually dropped it off at my sister in law’s house in Mill Valley. I was thrilled and told people at our gathering about what happened and my sister-in-law’s mom told me she has shopped Flannery for years!

So, the quality of the meat and the people are first rate…and that 7 ribber may as well have been Wagyu, it was so tender.

Late to the party but chiming in with what everyone else has said - no issues with freezing! Just make sure that anything you throw into the freezer has a tight vacuum seal. If it’s popped or loose, you can repack with plastic wrap than foil, to make sure you have no air touching product while frozen.

Anton - sorry about the no pickup in Dec! We base a lot of pickup answers on who our current USDA inspector is. The inspectors are on site every single day, and they rotate every 3 months. Some inspectors are super chill, others more uptight. We’ve had issues with people swinging by and walking straight into our cutting/packing rooms (major no no for the USDA), so when we have a particularly strict inspector, we kind of tighten up on allowing people by. Sorry about that!!! But glad that Dad was able to come through!

-K

Got me again. Thanks!!

Made one of those wagyu paves tonight, amazing!

Best piece of meat EVAR.

I love those more than any other animal-related product.