Next week Europe is going to get hammered by heat

Just burn some brown coal to make electricity.

Feels like winter here in Southern California. All those Teslas are starting to reverse global warming locally!

Rained on my way to work in Irvine today. Crazy,

It absolutely is. Cooling takes a lot of energy, maybe not quite as much as heating on average, but you still need energy, mostly to run the compressor. Regardless, unless you’re getting your power to run AC from non-fossil sources, you’re producing plenty of CO2 at the power source. Plus, you’re exhausting more heat directly to the outside air than the cooling you get inside, so a net overall heating of the environment.

The design of houses in Spain are interesting. In the villages and really in the cities to they are constructed with cement with smaller windows than what you typically see in the US. There are blinds on the outside and safety shutters on the inside. At night you open the windows and let the cool air in and by 10 am everything should be shut. My house is build on the mountain side with the back side partially inside the mountain. As hot as it gets here, I rarely get really hot inside the house during the day. I have ac upstairs in my bedroom that I do use at night if it is too hot, generally a fan is sufficient (I may turn it on with this heat wave. Some houses in the village have ac.

I hope the French are better prepared than in 2003.

I am on my way home from Abu Dhabi as I type. Super hot for sure but they have the AC thing down pat. Ubiquitous. Europe not so much.

Hey, if you are gonna be a big financier baller with that mansion, don’t run it like a Walmart!

[wow.gif]

Did the Vatican Museums today. 98 in Rome. Brutal experience.

Amazing that southern California is the coolest place on the planet right now

Going to be 103 in Montalcino when we arrive tomorrow. Yay me!

Wow…sorry to hear this crazy heat wave is impacting your vacation.

I was there for bicycle racing when I was a yoot and they had a heat wave like that, no AC, then I got some respiratory thing…I went to the catacombs and they let me rest there in the nice cool underground. Fond memory of a hot hot week.

Hope the AC works well for the rest of your stay! [cheers.gif]

OK we’re in the weeds here. So what you’re saying, we could live without the sun. All we have to do is all run our ACs all of the time, and get a net (permanent) heating of the environment. If this were the case, we’d all be melting right now.

I prefer to travel to Europe in the winter. Yes, it’s colder, a bit bleaker and precipitation is higher, but there’s far fewer tourists and you don’t have as many problems getting dinner reservations or being accommodated as a walk-in.

No A/C for the majority of the Vatican experience. Tapestry hall has a minor attempt at an A/C situation. Same with Sistine. That is about it. With shoulder to shoulder people for two hours and the heat I almost lost it, like full on heat/panic attack. Pasta alla gricia with black truffles at Da Fransceso tonight made it all ok!

How do the grapes look?

Best picnic wine ever!

Yes, yes it does.

[cheers.gif]

I am in Launceston, Tasmania. Weather is around mid-40F. [wink.gif]

The Scuppernong and Muscadine look great!!