Seattle Offline Tasting - Saturday, October 19th

The kitchen will be available. Both the wine and food sounds great.

Longtime WB lurker here, finally motivating myself to create an account

I’d love to join, especially if Northern Rhone is the theme

I’ll send you address information. Anybody else need that?

Given the attendance, some extra stemware will be welcome, and maybe decanters too.

Tasting day is a little over a week away, and we need to make some organizational decisions.
The roster above lists up to 22 attendees.

Currently the structure is "We will show up and drink Northern Rhone wines (or mostly). We will also have some food. If people prefer no definite structure, that is OK with me, but if anyone has something more organized in mind, let us know.

Are we going to try to all be at my house and ready to pour and taste at the same time (4PM)?
Will we try to assure everyone a taste from every bottle?
Are we going to try to taste each wine in a determined order? How many at a time.
If so, will we have designated pourers?
Flights? If so, who will organize the flights.
Blind or not?
Do people want to disclose what wines they are bringing in advance?
Are we going to make any attempt to score and rank the wines?
Should we try to have uniform, or nearly, glassware?
What if someone does not have, or does not want to bring a N. Rhone wine?
Where does the food fit into the scheme? Food before, then serious tasting, a recess for food, or food throughout?

All of the above takes a lot of organization and coordination, and 22 is a large group to handle, but it was done for the Grenache tasting in Seattle.

Answers to a few Qs. I’ll follow up this weekend with the food we’ll bring. Kindly PM me your address. Pretty sure I recall how to get there, but better to be safe.

Plan to be there at 4 (or before if you need help setting up)

We should aim to assure everyone a taste, with 22 attendees and folks likely bringing single bottles, everyone should get a 1 oz pour of each but no revisits later

I like the idea of doing it blind, in flights organized by AOC (white & reds separately). Happy to help organize flights of attendees will share which bottles they are bringing in advance. But also cool if it’s less structured and not blind

Indifferent as to scores, but like the idea of ranking best of flight and best of day.

Likely too hard to guarantee similar glassware

While we are focused on N Rhone - I’d be ok with a limited # of similar, distinctive wines from elsewhere. If permitted by the group, I have one such bottle to contribute in addition to my N Rhone wines.

Food throughout or after the first 2-3 flights sounds good

I plan to be at Peter’s house by 4:00 PM. I have concert tickets for an 8:00 PM show downtown so will need to leave on the early side. I plan to bring two red wines, either a Cote Rotie or Hermitage (probably a 1999) and a syrah ringer. I will bring a hearty pork dish. Thanks to Peter for hosting and to Terrance for getting the ball rolling.

Cheers,

Hal

Great questions from Peter.
As much as I enjoy a structured event with rounds/blind/scores, I think we’re too late to start organizing that (especially for 22 people). Plus with some people leaving early (as well I’m sure some others not showing up exactly at 4pm), it’d be a bit chaotic.

My suggestion would be something simple like having the different AOC’s separated around the house so people can do whatever flight/pattern they want. Maybe have everybody start with the whites first. But a person may want to compare Cornas to Hermitage - then go on to compare the La Landonne to the Cote Blonde (cause that’s what we’ll have available… right guys? …Bueller? :smiley:), so they can pick and choose.
People with ringers can keep theirs in a bag if they want to not reveal it.
I’m totally open to other ideas as well, that’s just my thought.

As Hal mentioned and the generosity we’ve seen from others in the past, there will be people who bring more than 1 bottle. So I would just say no revisiting until it’s clear the “Super serious wine tasting” has come to an end. But there will be so many good bottles and different preferences, if everybody kept things to 1-2oz pours, we’ll be fine.

I think if people said what region they’re bringing, it would help balance out the selection as I’m guessing some of us are debating between a couple different bottles.

I’m between a Cote Rotie and St. Joseph.

I’ll also be bringing a salad.

If we can accommodate one more I’d love to drop by with something tasty. Relatively new to town and WB and it’d be great to meet y’all.

Boss approved. And pending baby sitting boss will personally come too :slight_smile:. So I’m in +2 (wife and Out of town friend)

I don’t have a lot of northern Rhône. So Will bring a 2006 tattinger comte de champagne for starter, and a Cornas as themed wine. Might also bring another white If I can find the one I’m thinking of!

Food: will bring a dessert.

Will try to come by 4 and can help with organization.
Look forward to it!

Edit;
Agree with Terrance. Organizing flights might be hard. I like separating by region and let folks go at it.

We plan to be there around 4. Happy to help set up. We can bring our own glassware. We will bring one Condrieu and one Hermitage.

It would make sense to sort wines into flights by appellation, then if possible taste blind (brown bag it). I like the idea of tasting as much as possible (1oz from each bottle). Jiggers or small measuring cups would be helpful for that I think.

I like the idea of food first or no later than 1/3 of the way through the wines.

Sheela & I will bring a dip & crackers and a mushroom tart. Will bring two St Josephs.

I need the address and whether we should show up before 4 to help set up (which we are happy to do).

Looking forward to it!

Kevin, please do come by, it’ll be great to meet you.

Scott, I’ll be looking to get to Peter’s by 3pm to help move furniture and set-up (or whatever crazy task he’s gonna have me doing… gutters maybe?), can you try for that time as well?

Yes

I say let Scott organize flights of the reds. He can chose whether to divide by vintage or district.
We can start with white wines and appetizers.
It would be fun if someone brought a sparkler from Saint-Peray, but I can open something else as a greeting wine otherwise.

If some wines arrive late and don’t make it into an organized slot, it doesn’t matter. This is no competition.

Having three people to arrange tables and chairs will make it a relaxed procedure. Too bad the weather won’t be as pleasant as today.

Peter, mentionedi t above, i’ll bring a 2006 tattinger comte… we can have that as a starter… of course it’s probably not enough for 22 people but it can greet the earlier people :slight_smile:

we’ll try to be there by 4 sharp.

Good morning all,

I regret that I will not be able to make it this weekend. My older daughter has a basketball tournament and it’s a state qualifier, so she needs her dad there! Bummer, as the Northern Rhone is my favorite region and I have been looking forward to meeting all of you for some time. Have a great time and I hope all wines perform fantastically!

Can’t wait to read the notes and thoughts :slight_smile:

I’m afraid I won’t be able to make it to this one, unfortunately. My silly brother decides to come home to visit, so we’ll be spending Saturday with family.
I’ll look forward to the next one, and hopefully it’s not another year apart!

Carter

That’s a shame Carter and Jared. We’ll be holding Jim to host the next one in January

There is a UW football game Saturday, and I’m in Laurelhurst right on the other side of the stadium from Peter. If I can leave the winery early enough, we’ll get there on the early side.
Otherwise we’ll have to wait out the traffic and arrive late. I can bring whatever we need. Rhône is my favorite region, and have some from every appellation except chateau grillet.

If you can get here on the early side. it looks like whites are needed.
I have reds from all the N Rhone appellations to toss in as possibilities, and will decant a '63 Port for those who stick around later.

Weren’t we promised personal aircraft by the turn of the century?