Traditional CdP Producers - Now and Then

Good to read here about Vieux Donjon not being Cambied pre 2001. Not that I’ve tasted the Cambie-influenced ones post 2001, but I’m relying on my general preferences of non-modern CdPs. Holding on to my last (currently) available VD, a 1999 magnum.

My understanding was that he was only helping in the blending. I can find out more.

I would argue they are inconsistent. I find the wine does well in years like 2011 and 2014, but not in years like 2012 or 2013. The 2007 was not for me, but the 2010 was terrific, just young.

One can get too caught up blaming oenologues. Wines frequently change with generational changes in winemakers. And there are other things that happen.Whether Cambie makes the wine or merely advises in blending, the wine tastes different to me and some others, but not all others. Whether Cambie makes the wine or merely advises in the blending, the wine still tastes like a traditional one to many here and not all others. As I said above, these decisions have to be made wine by wine.

We can call him, “Sir Mix-a-Lot”.

He likes big wines, and he cannot lie
No other brotha enologists can deny

He like ‘em round, and big.

He want 'em real thick and juicy

Drank one of my 2 last remaining bottles of 2001 Domaine Bois de Boursan Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée des Félix and it was excellent. Started with a 1/2 case. If this is not considered traditional, then I am not sure what is. Have not had recent examples so dont know if the style has changed. IMO 2001 has been the best year for CDP IMO in the last 20 years.

The Felix is made to be a more intense wine than the base cuvee, but, except for the rare years when he replaces an old crusted baroque with a new one, and you get a whiff of new oak, it is, to my mind, traditional.

A reverse osmosis double, mixalots in trouble.

+1

[winner.gif]

So a good friend of mine is the importer, and he told me that Cambie’s involvement is only as necessary, and is more of an adviser than a consultant. When they have questions they ask him for advice, but that’s about it.

I’m with you. Do you think 2015 or 2016 will get there in another 10 years? Say for traditional producers like Beaucastel, Charvin, and Pegau? I do.

Hard for me to prognosticate, but I definitely bought into 2016. Beaucastel is great, but must admit, it does seem to have more scale than 2001.

I think it is possible to say that wines are riper without being more modern in style. It seems that there are more warm, ripe vintages these days in general amd my money is on that trend continuing

I love the 01s and 10s, and I think the 16s may be cut from that cloth. But the vintages that give me the most pleasure, regularly, have been the 94, the 99 and the 04. 08 and 11, at least for Ferrand, Charvin, and Pegau are climbing up there for me. 17 may turn out like that.

I bought a lot of 2017 Pegau, but have to admit, it was as much the $50 per bottle price tag, as it was some of the commentary I have read here and elsewhere on the wine. Amazing to get world-class, historic wines for $50. Felt like 2014 Bordeaux pricing to me!

I’ve really enjoyed a number of 2000 CdPs in the last year or two.

No, nothing has changed at Bois de Boursan …

A lot of 2010s, 15s and 16s will be on a similar level - and the best will surpass that … (of course only imho).
But 2001 is closer to maturity, but still not there …

I have to say that my knowledge of Chateauneuf is mostly based on Pegau.

Having said that, and with only a few other producers to compare so far, IMO 2016 is the best vintage since 1989.

For me, 2001 is truly excellent, but slightly below 1998 overall (I’ve probably had about 15 different bottlings from each vintage).

Dan Kravitz

2001 Pegau is my favorite Pegau, even over 1998 and 2000.

It’s certainly been the best drinking one since 1999. 2004 and 2008 are quite nice already but will never be as good across the board. Otherwise I’m interested to see how 2005 and 2009 turn out. (By the way, Pierre Usseglio’s 2009 base Cuvèe is nice. A Cambie consult, it’s as trad as it gets.)